Homemade: Free-Form Apple Tart
Updated: Jul 30, 2022
Tis the season of sweets and treats, it can almost make one feel sick. We all want to join in on the fun, but we also want to resist all the temptation around us. Here's one dessert that doesn't make you feel sick, eat warm with a side of perfectly scooped vanilla ice cream or just by itself. Happy Holidays everyone!
Free-Form Apple Tart
Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 55 mins Yield: 2 medium Apple Tarts
2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
10 tablespoon of butter
1/2 cup Ice Water
4-5 Apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (only do that in step 4)
1/4 cup and 1 tsp Sugar
1/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
1 tsp of Cinnamon
1 tsp of Lemon
1/2 tsp of Salt
1 large Egg
1. In a stand mixer, using the paddle, place flour in the bowl. Add the butter piece by piece and mix at a low speed. With the machine on, gradually add 1/4 cup of the ice water. Add it until the dough is evenly moistened.
2. Once done, take the dough out onto the counter and knead 2 or 3 times and cut the dough in half.
3. Roll out each dough in a disk, making sure roll it out evenly on all sides. Wrap in plastic and place in the fridge for 25 minutes or overnight.
4. Preheat the oven at 400° and grab your apples. Peel,, core and thinly slice all your apples. Best to do it now so that they don't brown on you too quickly.
5. In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, dark brown sugar and salt. Add the apples and lemon juice and mix it all together. Arrange the apples in 2 concentric circles, leaving 3-inch border all around. Fold the edge of the dough up and over the apples, Brush the rim with the egg and sprinkle on 1 tsp of sugar around on the edges.
6. Bake the tarts in the middle of the oven for 55 minutes, until crust is golden brown and the apples are tender. Once done, transfer tart to a cooling rack.
If you make this recipe, I'd love to see it! Tag #jobinkitchengarden on Instagram or on Facebook and let me know!