Homemade: Sweet & Salty Chocolate Bark
Updated: Jul 30, 2022
It's time to break in the New Year with something sweet and salty. Why not have the best of both worlds? I got inspired by the French Confection, Mendiant. They are traditionally made of chocolate, shaped like disks, filled with nuts and dried fruits (raisins, hazelnuts, dried fig, almond) representing the four mendicant or monastic orders. They are usually served around the holidays.
Wanting to spice up the classic recipe, I added some white chocolate pretzels, salted peanuts and the most festive sprinkles I could find. Here's to 2021, Happy New Years Everyone!
Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 40 mins Yield: 1 big bark
3 cups Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 cup Milk Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup White Chocolate chips
1/2 cup Pretzels
1/4 cup Salted Peanuts, halved
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1 tsp Festive Sprinkles
In a large pot, heat 2" of water. IF you have a double boiler, pull that baby out. If you are like me, whip up your own version and use a large mixing bowl or what I used, a wok. It should sit low enough in the pot to be few inches between the water and the bottom of the bowl. Boil the water on high.
1. Once boiling, add 1/4 cup of white chocolate into the bowl. It be long before the chocolate begins to melt. Using a spatula gently stir until it is completely smooth and melted.
2. Take the chocolate off the heat and gently dip each pretzel into the melted chocolate. It won't be perfect and that's okay.
3. Once you dip them place them on a cooling rack to dry and place in the fridge once you are done.
Semi Sweet Chocolate Bark
1. Clean the bowl and add it back over the boiling pot. Add the 3 cups of Semi Sweet Chocolate, again, it won't take long before it begins to melt. Make sure to stir it continuously until it is consistently smooth.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and gently pour the melted chocolate onto the lined baking sheet.
3. Use a spatula to spread out the melted chocolate, into a smooth, even layer.
Milk Chocolate Drizzle
1. Again, clean the bowl and add it back over the boiling pot. Add the 1 cups of Milk Chocolate, make sure to stir it continuously until it is consistently smooth.
2. Gently pour the melted chocolate over top of the semi sweet chocolate. Then using a thin object (I used a skewer) gently drag the stick horizontally back and forth and vertically back and forth to help spread everything out.
1. While the chocolate is still melted, gently top with the white chocolate dipped pretzels, peanuts, sea salt flakes.
2. Now for the best part of anything adding the sprinkles.
3. Once finished, place the entire baking sheet in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. I personally left it in longer to avoid me eating to quickly... but honestly it's up to you!
4. When you are ready to bring it out. Use a chefs knife, and cut into chunks to eat. Pack it up for yourself, your neighbours, or even has gifts for friends.